[OSM-dev] Chopped of ways. New flag for OSM XML?

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Thu Aug 14 06:56:26 BST 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 03:44:57PM +1000, Brett Henderson wrote:
> Karl Newman wrote:
>> Even still, it's a valid concern and there are other operations (i.e.,
>> cutting into tiles or tag transforms) that can manipulate the data
>> into a form that probably shouldn't be uploaded.
>>
>> Karl
> Yep, agree.  If it wasn't the default behaviour it would just be far
> less likely to occur :-)
>
> There was discussion a while ago about creating some form of super
> bounds element at the top of osm files to indicate which system the data
> is compatible with (eg. production api versus a dev environment).
> Perhaps something like that would be more appropriate than resorting to
> tags on every modified entity?  You could get extra funky and generate a
> unique id for each database upon installation that allows tools to check
> for compatibility (subversion does this I believe) ... perhaps a simple
> user entered db name would be more than sufficient.

But people *want* to use the data they get from some kind of extraction
process to base decisions upon. And they should be able to. Not all the
data is invalidated by an extraction, only some of it. It makes sense
to mark those parts invalid that are, so that an automated process can
decide what it uses and what not.

Jochen