[OSM-dev] [Fwd: Re: Chopped of ways. New flag for OSM XML?]

Rogier Wolff R.E.Wolff at BitWizard.nl
Fri Aug 15 14:52:59 BST 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 06:28:04AM -0700, Karl Newman wrote:
> > Those need to be marked in a way that won't interfere with current use
> > of those ways, as well as inform interested parties/programs that a
> > more complete way is available on the server.
> >

> > My personal choice would be to move towards the server delivering all
> > ways that have at least one point inside the area. If you request two
> > neighbouring areas some ways will be reported double....
> >
> >        Roger.
> >

> The main api server does return complete ways that have at least one point
> inside the area. This discussion was about the behavior of other tools
> (namely, Osmosis) that manipulate the OSM data offline.

So, then, the recommendation should be that when extracting data, this
same procedure is followed, and if not, those ways should be marked
incomplete in a way that as much as possible doesn't interfere with
current tools. Making a node-id negative, which in other tools is used
a as a cheap "flag", therefore becomes a non-option. It also runs the
risk of those negative-ids becoming entered into a database, as
separate entities.

So a "key=value" pair like "incomplete=true" or "status=chopped" would
be my favorite.

	Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff at BitWizard.nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **