[OSM-dev] Mosques and other features of the Muslim world

Lauri Hahne lauri.hahne at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 23:16:47 BST 2008

I wouldn't really tag hospitals with religion=something. Rather it
should be culture=something as even people who aren't religious like
to use symbols which are specific to a culture. Saying that a building
has a religion is like saying that one-year-old child has a religion.
It just doesn't make sense.

To make an example, I'm quite confident that no muslim living in the
UK has something against rendering hospitals with a cross and no
atheist living Beirut has anything against rendering a hospital with a
crescent. It's just a local custom and has nothing whatsoever to do
with religion.

2008/8/18 spaetz <osm at sspaeth.de>:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 05:36:57PM +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
>> It was more that the idea of putting a religion tag on a hospital
>> seemed kind of very wrong to me...
>
> Fully agreed. IMHO, it's the same issue that some countries like motorways on their map orange, while others want them purple (or whatever). It requires contry (or cultural) specific rendering rules, which we just don't have (yet). So I don't think that tagging it as
> aminty=hospital;religion=muslim would be the sensible thing to do here, even if it enabled us t render them differently in the short term.
>
> spaetz

Lauri Hahne