[OSM-dev] real-time traffic map

Bogdan Bivolaru bogdan.bivolaru at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 11:00:05 BST 2008

Dear all,

Do you know any way to maintain an instantaneous map of a road? By that I
mean: can all the drivers using OpenStreetMap + GPS upload their current
location and direction they are going to, instant & average speed to some
server and then can the server process the uploads to show the average speed
and traffic?

And maybe people can upload other location related info like a picture of an
interesting view, or info about a car accident? Any free software plugin for
OpenStreetMap that does that?

Even nicer it would be to allow making periodical traffic statistics -
daily, weekly, monthly, yearly traffic analysis. This could also interest
national road authorities and they could end up sponsoring OpenStreetMap.
Any ideas on this? Does this exist or how could be implemented?

Note: By real-time I actually mean establishing something like a 30min/1hour
windowing time. Processing uploaded information should not take more that
that pre-established time. I would expect this to be cpu/memory intensive.

Thanks,
Bogdan

--
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it.", 1971, Alan Kay:
http://www.smalltalk.org/alankay.html