[OSM-dev] real-time traffic map

Marcus Wolschon Marcus at Wolschon.biz
Thu Aug 21 07:37:07 BST 2008

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:59:07 +0100, Gregory <nomoregrapes at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2008/8/20 Rogier Wolff <R.E.Wolff at bitwizard.nl>
>

>> I would expect that the userbase of OSM is too small to make accurate
>> travel-time estimates, based on (live) GPS tracks..... So I'm afraid
>> that in practise it won't work.
>>
>> And even less is the number of users that have some GPS system capable
> of
> communicating live with a server. We record the GPS track and later in the
> day/week upload it onto our computers.
> I suppose I could use my mobile phone to send my location, but
> a) that would be a cost on my phone bill
> b) maybe I don't want you knowing where I am and how fast I'm going

Travel-Time -Data is usefull even after a drive.
So in a navigation-software an anonymous upload that does not include
1Km around the start and end of the journey and no absolute times
will be fine.
A navigation-program for OSM will be online at least every few weeks/month
anyway to update it's map (if it is not online every few hours for a few seconds
while driving to get traffic-reports).

Marcus