[OSM-dev] real-time traffic map

Marcus Wolschon Marcus at Wolschon.biz
Thu Aug 21 07:40:32 BST 2008

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 17:08:34 +0200, Rogier Wolff <R.E.Wolff at BitWizard.nl> wrote:
>> b) maybe I don't want you knowing where I am and how fast I'm going
>
> This is an issue. The phone company already knows this, and they would
> get into a big scandal if they suddenly started selling that data.
>
> For OSM, this type of data should also lose the identifying
> information as soon as possible. But the people having "root" access
> to the server will always be able to put one and one together. (this
> is no different from those having "root" at the phone company. But
> those guys are bound by an NDA).

I disagree here.
The server sees an anonymous ip-adress and some summary-information
that does not include the exact start+end and not the actual time of travel
but only something like "weekday-morning" or "friday-afternoon".

Even the root of the server that gathers this info cannot know who uploads.

Marcus