[OSM-dev] Roadnav moving to OSM data only: some questions...

Marcus Wolschon Marcus at Wolschon.biz
Fri Aug 22 08:11:00 BST 2008

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 02:30:33 -0400, Dustin Spicuzza <dustin at virtualroadside.com> wrote:

> there was at least a standard way to parse/store the data that would be
> useful to have.  I'd certainly be interested in helping with such a
> project.

The API is based on http and very simple, so there is not much to implement
for loading data.
The xml-format is also very simple. You can use the Xerces SAX-C++ -api here.
For data-exchange the XML-format as used by the API and JOSM has become the
standard as it is very universal. Using JOSM for generating simple maps
for debugging saves a lot of time.

> Whats the best way to facilitate users downloading places by name, as
> opposed to specifying coordinates?

Here you can have a look at the "namefinder". It is used for this purpose
by the online-map, josm, TS and others.

> Does OSM store street number data... ie, if I wanted to find the
> coordinates for 123 Any St, does OSM support this?

There was much fruitless discussion over the best format to store these
but after a while we started simply mapping this insted of arguing
with the "Karlsruhe Schema". It is done as an experiment to gather experience
how best to map all the exceptional cases of house-numbers but has been widely
adopted.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/House_numbers/Karlsruhe_Schema

> Zip/postal code support?
> What about city/state/country boundaries? Is there a way to
> search/download these via the API?

Only very basic I'm afraid. We have zip-code polygons but they are seldomly used
and the "is_in" and "postal_code"-Tags on streets/cities/suburbs/... to define
what zip-code/city/state they are in.

I have been pointing this out since eons as I have the same
issue writing my navigation-program (TravelingSales.sourceforge.net).

For city/Suburb-boundaries we get more and more polygons to do this
but many are still only a node of type "place=village","place=city",...
and you have to guess a radius to apply for these.

You may want to have a look at (and maybe document the questions and answers
you found):
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Routing
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_tags_for_routing

Marcus