[OSM-dev] Roadnav moving to OSM data only: some questions...

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Aug 22 08:31:38 BST 2008

In message <89972ecb41e7c64a7573978e66d079e1 at kleinbetrieb.biz>
        Marcus Wolschon <Marcus at wolschon.biz> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 02:30:33 -0400, Dustin Spicuzza <dustin at virtualroadside.com> wrote:
>
>> there was at least a standard way to parse/store the data that would be
>> useful to have.  I'd certainly be interested in helping with such a
>> project.
>
> The API is based on http and very simple, so there is not much to implement
> for loading data.

... but mobile navigation systems should probably be using planet
anyway and not pulling from the API as we don't have the resources
to support lots of read-only clients pulling from the API like that.

>> Does OSM store street number data... ie, if I wanted to find the
>> coordinates for 123 Any St, does OSM support this?
>
> There was much fruitless discussion over the best format to store these
> but after a while we started simply mapping this insted of arguing
> with the "Karlsruhe Schema". It is done as an experiment to gather experience
> how best to map all the exceptional cases of house-numbers but has been widely
> adopted.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/House_numbers/Karlsruhe_Schema

I'm not sure widely is the right word...

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/