[OSM-dev] Roadnav moving to OSM data only: some questions...

Wolschon Softwaredesign und Beratung Marcus at Wolschon.biz
Fri Aug 22 09:30:06 BST 2008

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:11:54 +0100, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
> I wasn't suggesting that a mobile client should parse planet itself.

I was just implying that a mobile computer that has internet should
not require any pre-parsing on a desktop when all the data it asks for
is reachable via the internet when and wher it needs them.

> I meant that the current API that editing clients use is not something
> that this sort of client should be using. If people want to take planet
> and set up a server serving mobile friendly data using an API of their
> choosing then that's fine be me.

Sorry but we don't have such a thing yet.
If we have it some time in the future, yes, that would be the way to
go but this is about the current state. It has to be something that
works now.

We do have
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_Mobile_Binary_Protocol
but it

* removes all the topologic information that is paramount for routing
  by embedding the node.coordinates in the ways.
* thus also removes all tags on nodes (mini-roundabounts(*)?traffic-lights?)
* does not
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_Mobile_Binary_Protocol/Feature_Tags)
 contain all the key=value -pairs
* truncates strings.

Marcus
*)
Knowing about mini-roundabouts is important as other texts need to be output
for roundabouts. "go left" vs. "take the second exit" or (with signposting)
"go left towards 'Wilhemsburg'" vs. "take the second exit to B45"