[OSM-dev] Roadnav moving to OSM data only: some questions...

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Aug 22 09:11:54 BST 2008

In message <3bbb757ac6869288965ba63f3098344d at kleinbetrieb.biz>
        Marcus Wolschon <Marcus at wolschon.biz> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:31:38 +0100, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
>
>> ... but mobile navigation systems should probably be using planet
>> anyway and not pulling from the API as we don't have the resources
>> to support lots of read-only clients pulling from the API like that.
>
> I don't see mobile clients with their own networking abilities to
> use the world-file. The world-file simply requires ressources that
> are nowhere near present.

I wasn't suggesting that a mobile client should parse planet itself.

> As for the API. This is read-only -access and need not be the most
> current data. So if we ever run into load-issues anyone can set up
> mirrors within hours/days using only a database, an apache and some php or
> python -code as well as the daily diffs and maybe a monthly full reload
> of the world-file.

I meant that the current API that editing clients use is not something
that this sort of client should be using. If people want to take planet
and set up a server serving mobile friendly data using an API of their
choosing then that's fine be me.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)