[OSM-dev] Icons for graveyards

Patrick Kilian osm at petschge.de
Thu Aug 28 08:56:49 BST 2008

Hi,

Rogier Wolff wrote:
>>> Perhaps your 'unknown' graveyard should have a more traditional
>>> headstone (at least, where I'm at) instead of crosses?
>> I have thought about using a headstone too. But headstones are pretty
>> typical for christian graveyards too, right?
>
> Yes, but instead of being the "symbol for the religion", it's
> something that this religion happens to use for putting dead people in
> the ground. So its further from the 'core', so hopefully more
> acceptable for people of other religions who might see their
> mislabelled graveyard rendered this way.
>
> Moreover, it's visually different from the christian one. Which makes
> a point.

Ok, I have created a headstone pattern (see attached
graveyard_generic.png) and updated osm-template.xml accordingly. I
played around with larger headstones too (see graveyard_generic2.png)
but I like the smaller version better. I also tested RIP inscriptions
but those are totally incognizable in the 16x16 icon.

Patrick "Petschge" Kilian