[OSM-dev] Icons for graveyards

Robert Funnell robert.funnell at mcgill.ca
Sat Aug 30 18:25:49 BST 2008

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Patrick Kilian wrote:

>> Presumably the Pastafarian version won't be used often; I would in fact
>> suggest omitting it to avoid pointlessly upsetting someone.
> Not including one religion because other religions might not like it is a
> very slippery slope.

Do you really mean Rastafarian and not Pastafarian? I can't make
out what the symbol is and assumed that it is spaghetti.

>> I might also suggest using X's instead of crosses for Unknown.
> Sorry, image.png was an old version. In the updated version unknown shows as
> headstones.

Perhaps the headstones could be a bit bigger? It would make them more
recognizable, and also avoid the lightness problem.
Are there any religions which frown on headstones, as opposed to
plaques, mausoleums, etc? An 'X' would certainly be neutral, and very
recognizable.

>> How to handle mixed? non-denominational? military? communist?
> Mixed: If one denomination dominates use that symbol, otherwise use the
> General/Unknown one.
> Non-denominational: same as General/Unknown
> Military: I could make an icon with crossed swords. Although that might
> collide some day with the rendering of battlegrounds.

Both your suggestion and your reservation about it are good. From a
religious point of view, they are often non-denominational, which was
actually my point. They could also be General/Unknown. The important
thing would be to document these usages.

- Robert