[OSM-dev] Don't worry, be happy

Joachim Zobel jz-2008 at heute-morgen.de
Mon Dec 1 18:09:14 GMT 2008

Am Mittwoch, den 26.11.2008, 12:54 +0000 schrieb Matt Amos:
> > Well, as long as the API code is good, and makes this check, then
> the
> > transaction should cover it for inserts/updates. I'd assume the
> > migration script will have to handle existing inconsistencies.
>
> that is exactly why i'm worrying about it :-)

MySQL has the

SET foreign_key_checks = 0;

which can be set before loading the old data. The somewhat scary fact
that a

SET foreign_key_checks = 1;

does _not_ do a validation of the existing data means that handling
existing inconsistencies can be delayed until the migration is done.

Sincerely,
Joachim