[OSM-dev] Any tile statistics (unique visitors)

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Sun Dec 7 00:20:47 GMT 2008

Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Tom Hughes wrote:
>> What is an "icon of the map that everybody visits" exactly? We serve
>> tiles, and there is no one tile that every person will fetch. Plus
>> most people will fetch the same tile multiple times.
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/openlayers/img/north-mini.png
>
> Since unique visitors per day is a think awstats can do for us, there
> are less things to worry about :)

Well if you want to understand what it means then you need to know what
the calculation is behind what awstat is doing! In this case I assume
that it is telling you the number of unique IP addresses if there is no
tracking cookie but that is a very poor approximation for the a number
of visitors.

Plus you asked about unique visitors to the tile server but now you want
to know about unique visitors to our slippy map, which is an entirely
different question as not everybody that uses our tile server uses our
slippy map.

>> Why do you want this information anyway?
>
> Because the person/organisation that gave OSM-NL last year around 10K in
> euro, and now gave 28K to OpenStreetPhoto would like to know the unique
> visitors, and I think that is a reasonable question...

Every question seems reasonable to the person asking it, but as always
the question is where to draw the line - do I have to conjure up
whatever statistics people ask for no matter how much work it needs?

Anyway, if you can get the appropriate people to authorise it, and you
can clarify exactly what you want, then we might be able to do something
when we get a minute.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)