[OSM-dev] 0.6 database table creation script for mysql?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 20:37:23 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Maarten Deen <mdeen at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> I'm not? Than how do I create the database so that I can store OSM data with
> osmosis?
>
> I mean: have it however you want, but if people can't make the database, then
> how are they going to use it?

The concept of "the database" is the flaw here. The only place that
needs to be the exact same format as the rails_port (i.e. the main
server) is development work related to the main server. And in that
case, rails is quite important too.

As for anything else, the schema you need is related to the purpose
you need it for. So there's a db schema for osm2pgsql (rendering), a
different one for each routing program, a different one for almost any
purpose. Even osmosis doesn't have the same db schema for 0.6 postgres
as the rails' migrations output when run with the postgres db adapter.
But it doesn't need to. And there doesn't even need to be an sql
schema for the main db, it could all be hidden behind the API in one
giant flat file[1] and nobody would need to know.

So remember, OSM data is an xml format, and there are many db schemas
available depending on the purpose that data is being used for.

Cheers,
Andy

[1] which would have as much referential-integrity functionality as
mysql, but I digress...