[OSM-dev] surveillance cams not shown in any render

Eddy Petrișor eddy.petrisor at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 12:59:26 GMT 2008

2008/12/12 Eddy Petrișor <eddy.petrisor at gmail.com>:
> 2008/12/11 Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at googlemail.com>:
>> Eddy Petrișor schrieb:
>>>
>>> Solution 1: add an extra tag traffic which can be "yes" for such cameras
>>>
>>> Solution 2: new value for man_made:  man_made="traffic_surveillance"
>>> for such cameras
>>>

>> Solution 3: Use highway=speed_camera which is already used ~500 times and
>> also will show up at least in JOSM.

I just wanted to make it clear that I like the idea to have a value
for the "highway" tag since:
- it increases the chances for the data to be a part of regular
exports that are made for driving maps
- it links clearly at a logical level the functionality with the
highway tag, since the function *is* more related to traffic than it
is to surveillance

Still, I think there might be exceptional cases where there are
conflicts, as explained below:

> And what happens for intersections that are both surveilled and do
> have traffic lights?
> You just add another distinct node just for that?

Do we have/want to worry about that now?

--
Regards,
EddyP