[OSM-dev] surveillance cams not shown in any render

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Fri Dec 12 13:41:33 GMT 2008

2008/12/12 Eddy Petrișor <eddy.petrisor at gmail.com>

> 2008/12/11 Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at googlemail.com>:
> > Eddy Petrișor schrieb:
> >>
> >> Solution 1: add an extra tag traffic which can be "yes" for such cameras
> >>
> >> Solution 2: new value for man_made:  man_made="traffic_surveillance"
> >> for such cameras
> >>

> > Solution 3: Use highway=speed_camera which is already used ~500 times and
> > also will show up at least in JOSM.
>
> And what happens for intersections that are both surveilled and do
> have traffic lights?
> You just add another distinct node just for that?

Yes, one for the location of the CCTV camera sounds good...

> Also, I think the idea to call it *speed* camera is not that great
> since it can detect/trigger/be used for other traffic-related fines,
> such as illegal overtakes, level crossing related illegalities, etc.

Are you sure? Typically there are two types of camera, those that are used
for automatic recording of offenses, speed cameras, red light cameras,
etc... and then there are CCTV cameras for surveillance and monitoring of
traffic, typically recorded but manually operated...

> > Not that I think this is possibly the best solution, but that's what
> others
> > already seem to use.
>
> And why, if is already used, is not documented on the Map_Features
> page? Is a discussion as this one necessary first?

The Map Features page doesn't document everything that is widely used, it
doesn't even document everything that is rendered... There are many proposed
tags that are widely used but haven't made it on to Map Features, there are
some tags on Map Features that are very rarely used... There are more tags
that don't appear as proposed tags or on Map Features but have been used
widely... Whether a positive or a negative thing, individuals thoughts on it
vary, tags are free text, you could invent your own tag and use it as you
saw fit for anything you wanted, but you wouldn't have to document it,
renders wouldn't have to support it...