[OSM-dev] surveillance cams not shown in any render

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 13:58:53 GMT 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Eddy Petrișor <eddy.petrisor at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why would I prefer to use a custom rendering instead of clarifying the
> tags, usage and quirks and push for rendering support in Mapnik and
> Osmarender?

Every map is a limited selection of features, and it's up to each map
author to decide what they think is important to their own map. Any
map attempting to show everything would just look terrible!

In the same way that traffic cameras are unlikely to be shown on the
cycle map, I don't "push for rendering support" for things like bike
parking, bike shops, or even the cycle route mileposts [1] to be shown
on the mapnik or osmarender layers. Each map has their own selection
of features.

Cheers,
Andy

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/WikiProject_United_Kingdom_National_Cycle_Network#Tagging_mileposts