[OSM-dev] surveillance cams not shown in any render

Eddy Petrișor eddy.petrisor at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 14:18:05 GMT 2008

2008/12/12 80n <80n80n at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Eddy Petrișor <eddy.petrisor at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> > Real solution: use a custom rendering of the map data:
>> > http://osm.vdska.de/
>>
>> Why would I prefer to use a custom rendering instead of clarifying the
>> tags, usage and quirks and push for rendering support in Mapnik and
>> Osmarender?
>
> Speed cameras did used to be rendered in Osmarender.  Not sure whether it
> has been removed deliberately (some people are opposed to helping motorists

I am not clear how marking cameras *is* helping people break the law.
They rather help them *not* break the law.
At least here in Romania, such cameras are marked as present at the
entry in the area where they are present, so the only help is to
pinpoint the location, instead of being aware of an area.

Personally I find myself slightly speeding (up to 5-7km/h more than
legal) occasionaly in villages or hamlets, since the legal speed
(50km/h) is between gears, but I am extra-careful in the surveilled
areas in order not to get fined accidentally.

I know that technically/legally I am speeding, but technically, the
tachometers could have errors and practically my speeding could be
compensated by good reaction time, while somebody else, even under
legal speed limit might not have that skill.

What I am trying to say is that the the legal speed limit is an
artificial way to keep accidents under control, but since I am careful
even when I speeding, the goal is achieved anyway, and I think *that*
is the important part.

> break the law) or accidentally (never attribute to malice...).

I always thought that the Mapnik render was a render for general
usage, but slightly biased toward driving and pedestrian usage. That's
way I thought it would be appropriate for cameras to be rendered in
Mapnik and Osmarender.

[1] which I think is a good thing since that's the major part of the
usage for the maps, AIUI

--
Regards,
EddyP