[OSM-dev] [Merkaartor] Crowd Sourced Testing of OSM 0.6 API

Shaun McDonald Shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Fri Dec 12 17:20:11 GMT 2008

On 12 Dec 2008, at 15:35, Chris Browet wrote:

> Actually, the problem is that I get zero-sized replies (the 502 is
> sent by my proxy).
>
> I guess some have already succeeded in uploading, right? With
> Merkaartor? (In case it is a local config error)

Looking through all the changesets that have been uploaded, none of
them have been created by Merkaartor. It should be noted that the dev
server (using modrails/passenger) is using a slightly different setup
compared to the production server (using mogrels).

Using Merkaartor against my local server, it does create a changeset,
however it doesn't manage to update ways due to a bad request.
Merkaartor seems to be thinking that a bad request means that the
upload succeeded, by removing it from the dirty layer.

I have discovered the problem why Merkaartor is getting a bad request.
It is due to where the changeset is placed. I know it is repetitive,
however the way that the current API 0.6 is implemented, is that each
node, way or relation that is uploaded, should have a changeset,
rather than the outer osm element.

You are currently doing (simplified) on a create way upload:

You should make the following changes:
changeset from osm element => way element
version isn't required
when creating an id is not required
the created by tag is no longer required on nodes/ways/relations, as
it is now on the changeset.
Which means that you end up with:

Another issue that I found was that if a node fails to be created, or
edited then the editor should not try to upload any way that
references those nodes.

It should be noted that we are starting to return more meaningful
error messages when errors happen on the API.

Shaun