[OSM-dev] ROMA servers down - osmosis large way problem

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Sun Dec 28 21:22:53 GMT 2008

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Stefan de Konink wrote:
>> So you actually suggest to implement a tree of relations to render a
>> country?
>
> I'm not convinced a tree is needed.

What do you have in mind to use as area that is bounded by a polygon
that has more than 2k of nodes?

>> Totally break lookups such as 'is X in country Y', you will
>> make friends that is for sure :)
>
> Someone who is so quick with taking complex programming for granted
> ("... simply implement partial editing of ways...") will surely not be
> foiled by the requirement to access a second level of relations which
> seems rather trivial in comparison.

I do what everyone does that is smart, not reinvent the wheel. Geos is
for us geometry-dropouts. There is no a priori need to break things up.
If you do want to break things up, implement server/clientside what I
suggested before, partial ways (as in return less nodes) limited by
bboxing. That has a effect on any form of processing.

>> So you really want people first to change everything to 0.6 and then
>> to something else ;) I wanted to write longer about this, but I think
>> allowing everyone to send just a complete changeset (within one
>> request) ditch REST for updating will give much more momentum, and
>> requires less code.
>
> Thank you but we need programmers, not advice. Sending a complete
> changeset within one request is possible BTW.

You have already implemented it; (I have too btw). Since I'm not going
to code Ruby or Java 'for fun', I'll stick with the C implementation of
the API. Like other people work on other editors not in Java.

Stefan