[OSM-dev] TomTom map format

Florian Lohoff flo at rfc822.org
Tue Dec 30 22:49:04 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 11:42:36PM +0100, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Florian Lohoff wrote:
> >I'd be interested in bit hacking too - Have the findings been documented
> >somewhere? Would a seperate list make sense?
>
> My attempt was 'illegal' because I wanted to recover data from a 'free'
> source of postal data. But if someone wants to reverse engineer it for
> creating maps we could do the hacking part on a separate list.
>
> (OSM-NL has contacts within TomTom, it might be possible to also 'talk'
> with them...)

My rough guess is that they have no interest - They make money by
selling the maps and it would be unwise to help the "others" ..

For compatibility it should IMHO be legal to reverse engineer at least in
Germany.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                  flo at rfc822.org             +49-171-2280134
	Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little