[OSM-dev] PostGIS installation problem

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Sun Feb 3 14:26:38 GMT 2008

Hello everyone,

Having difficulty installing postgis on a machine with OpenSuSE 10.3.
I installed from source (no rpm available) and followed the build
instructions, then issued the createdb/createlang commands as detailed on the
OSM wiki (Mapnik page).

Firstly there was a slight problem with the PostGIS make install instructions.
It said to do it as postgres, but I got permission errors and temporarily had
to change ownership of /usr/lib and /usr/bin to postgres to get that to work.

Now however I have a problem with running osm2pgsql. It seems postgresql
cannot locate the PostGIS functions - even though the PostGIS shared library
is in the /usr/lib/postgresql directory (standard postgresql lib directory).
I get the error

"SELECT AddGeometryColumn(....)

No function matches the given name and argument types"

Then I found on the postgis documentation I had to do this as well:

psql -d [yourdatabase] -f lwpostgis.sql

However this fails with

could not find function "coveredby" in /usr/lib/postgresql/liblwgeom.so

Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Nick