[OSM-dev] PostGIS installation problem

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 15:45:06 GMT 2008

On Feb 3, 2008 3:26 PM, Nick Whitelegg <nick at hogweed.org> wrote:
> Firstly there was a slight problem with the PostGIS make install instructions.
> It said to do it as postgres, but I got permission errors and temporarily had
> to change ownership of /usr/lib and /usr/bin to postgres to get that to work.

Ok, that's wierd... The final install should probably be done as root
anyway to get the shared libs installed (why not install a package
BTW?)

> Then I found on the postgis documentation I had to do this as well:
>
> psql -d [yourdatabase] -f lwpostgis.sql
>
> However this fails with
>
> could not find function "coveredby" in /usr/lib/postgresql/liblwgeom.so

I think you should check where the library got installed. I used the
package and it got installed in /usr/lib/pgsql/, so I suggest you look
to see if the library is really there...

Hope this helps,