[OSM-dev] Spam from OSM server?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Feb 8 00:58:47 GMT 2008

In message <20080207221710.GE11273 at lochewe.mathy.remote.org>
          Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> For all I can see, this mail really originated at the OSM mail server,
> and it was routed to my mail address, despite being addressed to
> "talk-za" of which I am not a member.

No it didn't - it originated at 88.19.76.182 by the looks of it.

> At first I thought, maybe someone has sent spam to talk-za using my
> address as the sender and the above is Mailman's rejection message,
> but in that case both the To: and Subject: headers should be
> different.

You can't believe the To: header in an email - it means more or
less nothing. The important thing is the SMTP envelope recipient
details. In this case, that was:

  vote-owner at openstreetmap.org
  tilesathome at openstreetmap.org
  tilesathome-owner at openstreetmap.org
  talk at openstreetmap.org
  talk-za at openstreetmap.org
  treasurer at openstreetmap.org

I assume one of those (vote-owner?) goes to you.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/