[OSM-dev] Spam from OSM server?

matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk
Sat Feb 9 18:32:28 GMT 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 12:58:47AM +0000, Tom Hughes wrote:
> In message <20080207221710.GE11273 at lochewe.mathy.remote.org>
>           Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> > At first I thought, maybe someone has sent spam to talk-za using my
> > address as the sender and the above is Mailman's rejection message,
> > but in that case both the To: and Subject: headers should be
> > different.
>
> You can't believe the To: header in an email - it means more or
> less nothing. The important thing is the SMTP envelope recipient
> details. In this case, that was:
>
>   vote-owner at openstreetmap.org

I look after talk, dev and talk-gb. I get tens of these per
day.

I've asked before but I'll mention it again: is there any
chance of putting some spam filtering on lists?

I'm happy to advise or to do it if needed. If the machine is
a problem because of CPU then I can donate a Xen VM at work
to take the load off the box - spamassassin can be run
remotely. The VM used to run osmxapi until it moved off a
few months ago - it's been sitting idle since then (actually
turned off waiting for something to do).

[If you want some credentials, I run the mail hubs with spam
and virus scanning for the University of Leicester.]

Filtering would really help for mailman. If nothing else it
would mean that the list owners would have at least a chance
at running the lists properly (currently moderator requests
are so drowned in spam that the only sane thing to do is to
delete the lot).

Cheers,

--
Matthew