[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Error while uploading with JOSM

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 8 10:25:51 GMT 2008

Keith Thomson wrote:
>Sent: 07 February 2008 10:19 PM
>To: dev at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Error while uploading with JOSM
>
>David Earl wrote:
>> On 30/01/2008 12:47, David Earl wrote (on talk):
>>
>>> ... recently doing larger volumes, my experience has been the same as
>>> Cristiano - it fails after a few K, and then it won't upload again for
>>> another 10 minutes or so, and during that time I can't access
>>> www.openstreetmap.org either.
>>>

>> For the third time in a row, on separate occasions over three weeks that
>> I have been uploading a significant amount of data from JOSM, this has
>> happened again.
>>
>> I think there is a problem that needs investigating.
>>
>> It isn't specifically an API problem as the symptoms are that I get
>> locked out of the www.openstreetmap.org domain as a whole, not just JOSM
>> uploads.
>>
>> Is there something in the website trying to prevent DoS attaacks or
>> something like that, that is locking out particular IP addresses for 20
>> - 25 minutes, that is counting API accesses (to
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/...) as well as general web page
>> accesses (i.e. to www.openstreetmap.org)?
>>
>> Are there any logs that can be consulted to see what happened to me when
>> my JOSM upload timed out around 18:00 GMT (my IP address is
>81.107.40.180).
>>
>> It gave me access again at 18:25, so it was 25 minutes or so that I
>> couldn't get through.
>>

>I have had the same problem while running coastline uploads.  Im pretty
>sure its more of an ISP problem as when the situation occurs there are
>other websites that become unavailable for me (e.g.
>http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/dtg/weather/ as well as openstreetmap)
>while other sites are perfectly accessible still.  Being near Cambridge,
>your ISP wouldnt happen to be NTL/Virgin would it?  That is my isp....

This was my problem too (Virgin) and the reason I changed to bethere just
before Christmas. I was getting more and more routing failures during/after
heavy JOSM usage especially which would lock me out (usually for 30 mins or
so) from all JANET domains. Since changing ISP I have had no problems.
Virgin also appeared to be closing off other port addresses so that I was
getting increasing problems routing back to some ports on my home network
via the net.

Cheers

Andy