[OSM-dev] disputed areas

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 12:10:14 GMT 2008

On Feb 10, 2008 6:15 AM, Rob Reid <rob at robreid.co.nz> wrote:
> I worry that this might escalate the edit war, if the result of an edit
> war in a disputed territory is that the area is removed from the map,
> might that not encourage the person making the spurious edits to move
> their attention into the country they are having the edit conflict with
> in an attempt get parts of that country removed as well?

This is beginning to get rather messy. TBH as a community not
rendering the area in question is the only bargaining chip we have. Or
slightly less extreme solution, drop the rendering of names. At the
end of the day there's not much we can do against people who can't
accept the fact that a place may have multiple names.

It does make me wonder what they do for maps in the places themselves.

A less drastic solution is restricting the name:xx fields you can
edit, but that doesn't help when people actually *delete* and recreate
the nodes.

On a different note, if you setup a process that monitored the nodes
in question and simply reverted any edits within five minutes of doing
them (currently technically feasable) how long before people get tired
of changing them?

Have a nice day,