[OSM-dev] disputed areas

Rob Reid rob at robreid.co.nz
Sun Feb 10 05:15:18 GMT 2008

J.D. Schmidt wrote the following on 10/02/2008 16:55:
> Frederik Ramm skrev:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> My suggestion is to encourage those guy to host their own localized maps.
>>> - Drop the name rendering for this region on all the OSM-hosted maps ?
>>> - Only render localized names for this region to lower the importance of
>>> the "name" tag ?
>>>
>> If an immediate response is desired, my choice would be to just drop
>> rendering of Cyprus *altogheter* on our maps. That could be done with
>> relative ease as we'd only have to stop serving the tiles in question,
>> which might even be done through apache config rules (bit scary for
>> the Z18 stuff perhaps, haven't done the numbers).
>>
>> There are many other places in the world where our map is blank, so we
>> don't lose a lot by not showing Cyprus. The data would still be there
>> and could be edited with JOSM but with it not being rendered, we'd
>> have effectively taken the toy away from the children.
>>
>> All this of course to encourage them to find a peaceful solution...
>>
> This one gets my vote.
>
> Even better if we could put some IP block filtering in, so the viewers
> from those countries would get a special tileset up, stating something
> like "Due to unmature edit-wars by persons changing roadnames to reflect
> their political view, this area is only available for viewing by mature
> viewers in the rest of the world. Please send email to the respective
> unmature editwars participants, if you are dissatisfied with the current
> situation for this area".

I worry that this might escalate the edit war, if the result of an edit
war in a disputed territory is that the area is removed from the map,
might that not encourage the person making the spurious edits to move
their attention into the country they are having the edit conflict with
in an attempt get parts of that country removed as well?

Cheers

Rob