[OSM-dev] disputed areas

bvh bvh-osm at irule.be
Sun Feb 10 13:08:14 GMT 2008

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 01:10:14PM +0100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> This is beginning to get rather messy. TBH as a community not
> rendering the area in question is the only bargaining chip we have. Or
> slightly less extreme solution, drop the rendering of names. At the
> end of the day there's not much we can do against people who can't
> accept the fact that a place may have multiple names.

I like the solution with the protected range

- have the create node api check if the node is in a protected area,
if yes check the user and if allowed give the node an id in a reserved
range

- have the create way/relationship api check if any of the member nodes/ways
are from the reserved range and if so check the user and if allowed give
the way/relationship an id in a reserved range

- have the edit/delete api check if the id in question is from the
reserved range and if so check the user

Granted, I don't know ruby nor the api implementation but the
above seems doable to implement?

> On a different note, if you setup a process that monitored the nodes
> in question and simply reverted any edits within five minutes of doing
> them (currently technically feasable) how long before people get tired
> of changing them?

What would prevent those people from writing their own bot to execute
the changes?

cu bart