[OSM-dev] Restrict key names on order to retain reusability of OSM

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 12 10:07:46 GMT 2008

Stefan Keller wrote:
>Sent: 12 February 2008 12:36 AM
>To: dev at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: [OSM-dev] Restrict key names on order to retain reusability of OSM
>
>Hi all,
>
>I just have finished a converter of OSM xml format to GML and I BOLDLY
>suggest to constrain the allowed characters of tags (= key-names) to the
>following XML related set:
>'aAbBcCdDeEfFgGhHiIjJkKlLmMnNoOpPqQrRsStTuUvVwWxXyYzZ_' in order to retain
>reusability.

No chance, GML is going to have to get with the times. OSM is of course an
international open project so just about anything that gets thrown at it is
acceptable. If you want something out of OSM the tools are going to have to
be clever and work with whatever is there (or ignore it as you see fit.)

Cheers

Andy