[OSM-dev] Restrict key names on order to retain reusability of OSM

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 10:52:38 GMT 2008

GML/XML is *not* the issue, you know that:
It's almost any application outside OSM database.
It's about reusability and consistency!

I love the approach of key-value pairs (and I like beers too... ;->).
I agree with Martijn that before all, spaces must be kept out.
I agree too with Frederik: Colons can be included as namespace delimiters.
Namespace, tags and keys reminds us, that OSM is a database and
*not* a Wiki on an island (whereas I'm loving Wikis used as they are)!

 So I'm sorry, guys, but I have to insist:
I propose distinctly to restrict key names (elemement, tag) to the set
'aAbBcCdDeEfFgGhHiIjJkKlLmMnNoOpPqQrRsStTuUvVwWxXyYzZ_', now
plus colon as namespace delimiter, allowed once and not at the beginning or
the end.

-- Stefan

BTW: Restrincting tags in del.icio.us to ASCII did not restrain the success
of social bookmarking in any way IMHO.