[OSM-dev] Restrict key names on order to retain reusability of OSM

Tue Feb 12 11:16:54 GMT 2008

Marcus Wolschon wrote:

> Stefan Keller schrieb:
> | BTW: Restrincting tags in del.icio.us <http://del.icio.us> to ASCII did
> | not restrain the success of social bookmarking in any way IMHO.
>
> Well, it did. There are localized sites like that that allow
> any utf8-characters and they are used.

Thinking about it a bit further, restricting tags in del.icio.us
_didn't_ solve the problem of reusability.

If I tag something as "open source" in del.icio.us, should it be
open_source, or opensource, or openSource, or OpenSource? I've seen
all four used.

Interoperability is best ensured by community and convention, not by
hard-and-fast rules; and we're doing pretty well on the former.

cheers
Richard