[OSM-dev] {To Robin} Re: OSM Data Question from FireGirl

Jason Reid osm at bowvalleytechnologies.com
Wed Feb 13 03:06:17 GMT 2008

Fire Girl wrote:
> Thank you Robin -- thanks for the information!  I am still new at
> development but trying to get all the pieces of information together.
> It is very interesting to digest and I appreciate your time so much!
>
> So, I looked at this.... and please correct me if I am wrong.....So,
> if I am not misunderstanding... one can obtain the very large
> planet.osm file, and if implemented correctly on a local Intranet
> system like mine I have in mind, ... if I know the correct BBOX
> coordinates, ... I could input them & run some kind of query and then
> extract a data.osm ''sub-file'' for any Country, City or other
> geography, ... based on such coordinates? :-) :-) ... and go from
> there with the data.osm file into other applications?
>
> May I ask, if this logic of mine is correct, what sort of Windows or
> Linux system is best suited for this exercise, to break down the
> planet.osm file, and where to learn how to best setup a Database with
> the many Gigabyte planet.osm file? :).... like what best software
> titles to use... and further, to this end, where also to find BBOX
> coordinates for most major places?  I mean, I can clearly see
> published out there New Zealand is something like
> [bbox=165.9,-47.9,179.0,-34.0], because someone has posted that
> information.... but how do I get these coordinates for any arbitrary
> locale without guessing or hunting them down? :) :)
>
> thank you so much for brain knowledge to help me advance mine
>
> Best wishes, FireGirl.

You can download polygon's describing geographic areas from
http://www.maproom.psu.edu/dcw/. Then if you use those and the osmosis
program (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmosis) you can
extract just the states you want.

The planet file (or extracted output from step above) can also be loaded
into a Postgresql database using the osm2pgsql
(http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/export/osm2pgsql/)
script and you can query against that. Note that last week's planet file
was 77gb once uncompressed so it can take a long time to import into a
database if your system isn't that speedy.

-Jason Reid