[OSM-dev] {To Robin} Re: OSM Data Question from FireGirl

Fire Girl firegirl at amorous.com
Wed Feb 13 02:45:31 GMT 2008

Thank you Robin -- thanks for the information!  I am still new at
development but trying to get all the pieces of information together.  It
is very interesting to digest and I appreciate your time so much!

So, I looked at this.... and please correct me if I am wrong.....So, if I
am not misunderstanding... one can obtain the very large planet.osm file,
and if implemented correctly on a local Intranet system like mine I have
in mind, ... if I know the correct BBOX coordinates, ... I could input
them & run some kind of query and then extract a data.osm ''sub-file''
for any Country, City or other geography, ... based on such coordinates?
:-) :-) ... and go from there with the data.osm file into other
applications?

May I ask, if this logic of mine is correct, what sort of Windows or
Linux system is best suited for this exercise, to break down the
planet.osm file, and where to learn how to best setup a Database with the
many Gigabyte planet.osm file? :).... like what best software titles to
use... and further, to this end, where also to find BBOX coordinates for
most major places?  I mean, I can clearly see published out there New
Zealand is something like [bbox=165.9,-47.9,179.0,-34.0], because someone
has posted that information.... but how do I get these coordinates for
any arbitrary locale without guessing or hunting them down? :) :)

thank you so much for brain knowledge to help me advance mine

Best wishes, FireGirl.

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?