[OSM-dev] Restrict key names on order to retain reusability of OSM

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 12:53:43 GMT 2008

2008/2/15 Stefan Keller <sfkeller at gmail.com>:
> In the model I showed and I would use for such purposes a sample query would
> look like this:
>
> # select * from building'; -- was: where type='shop'
> # select * from streets: -- where street type value can be anything

You're spending way too much time arguing about the format of the
database. The ideal format looks like:

integer id
way geometry
attributes hstore

Then you insert as:

VALUES ( 3029222, 'LINESTRING(....)', 'key=>value, key=>value, ...' );

Sure, it needs postgres, but now you have ONE index for each column
and you can search on keys/values without being restricted to ascii
characters... So its efficient and lossless...

Have a nice day,