[OSM-dev] Spam from OSM server?

matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk
Sun Feb 17 21:27:56 GMT 2008

Hi Frederik,

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 07:39:57PM +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> > I look after talk, dev and talk-gb. I get tens of these per
> > day.
>
> As far as I understand, the problem is spam being sent with a
> ...-owner address in the envelope, so it gets forwarded by mailman.

Yes, it is.

> I have achieved considerable spam reduction with the exim filter rule
> This blocks everything coming from the osm server but not actually
> posted to a list, including all the mailman "permission is needed for
> blah blah" messages.

Easier is to set up a different e-mail address and set the list
owner address to that. Then the junk just goes there instead.

However, the problem is then that there is no way you can
moderate the list properly. If someone sends you a message as
list owner, it'll just automatically get moved somewhere you
never see.

Far better IMO to put some sort of spam rejection on the list
server! ;-)

Cheers,

--
Matthew