[OSM-dev] Slippy map - clickable POI

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Tue Feb 19 17:38:55 GMT 2008

Hello Gregory,

I do a similar thing for Freemap, actually querying the underlying PostGIS
database.

Go to

http://www.free-map.org.uk/index.php?lat=51.05&lon=-0.72

then keep zooming in until you can see pub symbols. Click on any of them.

I use OpenLayers code to convert the zoom to a Mercator lat/lon, then the
PHP script osmlookup.php to query the PostGIS database.

See
http://www.free-map.org.uk/freemap/javascript/FreemapClient.js
for the client side code, note the osmLookup() function.

For the server side code, download
http://www.free-map.org.uk/downloads/freemap.tar.bz2 and look at
common/osmlookup.php.

BTW will try and get round to doing clickable POIs on the main OSM site
soon, got sidetracked into adding .osm support for Mapnik. :-)

Nick