[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Trouble in Rangoon

Martijn van Exel mvexel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 10:05:45 GMT 2008

Op 28 feb 2008, om 12:28 heeft Frederik Ramm het volgende geschreven:

> Hi,
>
> On 28.02.2008, at 10:49, Andy Robinson ((blackadder)) wrote:
>> As for improving the problem overall, I think perhaps a bounty is
>> needed?
>
> I can only speak for myself but I am always turned away by bounties.
> First of all I don't want to be seen as someone who only works if
> there's remuneration, and secondly I always think there will be lots
> of people who can use the bounty better than I could, so I refrain
> from doing things that have a bounty on them.
>
> Don't know how others feel about this. The whole "changeset" and
> "rollback" complex is very high on my personal "next big thing I'll
> tackle if time allows" list but I think it is of equal complexity to
> the introduction of relations last year; it will probably require
> changes to editors and warrant a bump to API 0.6... I haven't made a
> lot of noise about this yet because I didn't want to say "I'm going
> to do it" and by saying so block anyone else who might get it done
> faster and I cannot really promise that I have it done by such-and-
> such a date. (It sure is the kind of thing that could be achieved if
> the right people sat in the same room for a weekend, IF a weekend can
> be found where they can meet...) But I'm theoretically willing and
> able to at least create a prototype that we can then test-drive
> together.

There is funding available to make this happen.

See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/%E2%82%AC15.000_Funding_for_Software_Development_-_Proposal

We could actually do it like this - to get a number of dedicated
developers together for a weekend / week and make this happen.

I could organise it but I would need someone to oversee the project
from a technical perspective and help me set up a technical project
description for the funding organisation, NLNet.

Would you help me set it up, Frederik?

Who would like to participate? TomH? RichardF?

--
martijn van exel -+- mvexel at gmail.com -+- http://www.schaaltreinen.nl/