[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Trouble in Rangoon

Martijn van Exel mvexel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 11:18:12 GMT 2008

> Martijn,
>
>> I could organise it but I would need someone to oversee the project
>> from a technical perspective and help me set up a technical project
>> description for the funding organisation, NLNet.
>
> I have followed your efforts to get funding from them and it's great
> that there is money available. However, as these things go, they
> have certain demands in return for their money, they want us to
> write down stuff we want to achieve, then write down how we achieved
> it, and follow some or other methodology. They want milestones, they
> want project plans, deadlines and so on. I really commend your work
> and I hope you don't take this personally but all this project plan
> and milestone and deadline business is not how *I* want to work on
> OSM. A big part of the fun, for me, is that I can choose what to
> work on without having to submit a plan beforehand, and I don't have
> to make promises to anybody, or actually write down how I intend to
> achieve the goals and so on (or IF I write something down then
> because I think it's necessary for others, and not for some guy who
> tracks where the money has been spent).

Frederik,

I see your point very clearly and I've heard it mentioned many a time
before. I've been trying - and will continue trying - to get them to
loosen up a little. What I would really like is to have 'carte
blanche' to organise such a 'hack-a-thon' weekend / week to get as far
as possible implementing history / rollback in the backend and api. I
am going to propose exactly this to them and see what comes back. They
fund a lot of open source development, so they should be sensitive to
the way things go in OSM. I was @ the London Hack Day last weekend to
get to know some of the developers and get more of a feeling of how
they actually work. I went home with the feeling - and SteveC
confirmed this - that we're taking too much of a top-down approach to
this.

> I'd rather pay for a flight and hotel myself, in cash, than accept
> funding from NLNet and with that (quote) "NLNet will require close
> monitoring, a transparent process, definition of milestones and
> progress reports throughout the year."
>
> That's just my personal feeling and I'm sure others will view this
> differently, of course it is understandable on their part that they
> want to know where the money goes, and again, please don't feel
> offended but I don't want their money if this turns OSM into just
> another work assignement for me.

I share your concern and hesitation. I wouldn't like OSM to turn into
a project management job for me. That is what it would turn out to be
when I need to monitor milestones, deadlines, deliverables and such. I
guess I wouldn't be able to find anyone that I could defer this
responsibility to either ;).

Here's what I will do. I will propose the hack-a-thon idea to NLNet
and stress that we will definitely set realistic targets/goals for the
event, but it will, by it's very nature, be a 'best effort' attempt.
Let's wait and see what comes back.

Would you be interested to help me set it up when the preconditions
are right?

Take care,
Martijn
--