[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Ideas for OSM enhancements

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 03:25:18 GMT 2008

On Jan 1, 2008 5:40 PM, Brett Henderson <brett at bretth.com> wrote:
> Karl Newman wrote:
> > Okay, that's no big deal. It's actually astounding to me that you put
> > were able to the entire planet into a single img file... (obviously in
> > pre-TIGER days). Anyway, I'm planning on writing a tiling task for
> > Osmosis (probably not part of the Osmosis codebase, more likely a
> > plugin-type thing if BrettH helps me facilitate that), so it could
> > take a planet file and chunk it up into segments, probably individual
> > osm files. Those files could then be processed by mkgmap. Garmin
> > devices currently only support up to 2 GB MicroSD cards, but you're
> > more likely to run into the limit of 2025 map segments first. We
> > probably won't have the luxury of making the tiles uniform size,
> > because obviously urban areas will have much more road density than
> > rural areas. But if we were able to chunk it up into 4 degree square
> > sections (obviously quite large near the equator), the planet could be
> > covered in 4050 sections (360 x 180 / 16). Obviously, ocean areas will
> > subtract a significant number from that.
> >
> Adding plugins to osmosis should be fairly straightforward because I
> originally wrote it to work that way, it just hasn't been needed so far
> so it's all hard-coded in TaskRegistrar.
>
> I've added it to future_features.txt, let me know if you need it sooner
> rather than later.

No problem. It'll certainly be later, not sooner. By the way, I'm
writing a bunch of JUnit tests, mostly for the stuff I'm doing or have
done and I encountered an exception when testing the area filter with
completeWays. It's related to the SimpleObjectStore (probably the
recent single class store changes), but I haven't traced it down. I
attached my test fixture as a patch (hopefully it works; I pruned out
some files from the patch which are work-in-progress).

Karl