[OSM-dev] Osmosis: Subtiling the planet with nice ways proposal

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 00:56:10 GMT 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 4:13 PM, Steve Ratcliffe <steve at parabola.me.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> One thing to add is that ideally you want to split tiles so that they are
> smaller where there is more detail and larger elsewhere.  If you look at
> the map viewer on the Garmin web site, for example - Metro Guide Europe,
> you can see the tile outlines.  Over London they are much smaller than
> anything we do, although there is just one tile over much of Wales. Of
> course they have more data.
>
> ..Steve

Agreed. I was thinking it might be nice to have a method where you could
have a directory full of "tile definition" files (or all in one XML file)
which could specify the tiles as any arbitrary size, maybe along with some
rules that say what to do with the data. I think we want to stick with
rectangular boundaries for now, though. I'll keep polygonal boundaries in
mind when developing this and try not to throw obstacles in its way, but
that's a little more tricky than I want to tackle right now.

Karl