[OSM-dev] Osmosis: Subtiling the planet with nice ways proposal

Stuart Poulton swp at astro.le.ac.uk
Tue Jan 15 07:05:32 GMT 2008

> Agreed. I was thinking it might be nice to have a method where you
> could have a directory full of "tile definition" files (or all in one
> XML file) which could specify the tiles as any arbitrary size, maybe
> along with some rules that say what to do with the data. I think we
> want to stick with rectangular boundaries for now, though. I'll keep
> polygonal boundaries in mind when developing this and try not to throw
> obstacles in its way, but that's a little more tricky than I want to
> tackle right now.

This is exactly what I've done, using a google earth KML file, this then
constructs a linux shell script to run osmosis.

A nice picture here

http://osm.geocache.org.uk assuming that the DNS has updated.

Again, it's simple rectangular bounding boxes, with london split across
two files to keep the tile size down.

Cheers

Stuart