[OSM-dev] Potlatch causing DB inconsistency?

Stefan Baebler stefan.baebler at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 10:18:42 BST 2008

Tnx for the confirmation.
I guess 0.6 API aims to fix that with atomic uploads, but Potlatch
will remain using its own "API", right? Is it now (version 0.10)
preventing this somehow?

so the events went something like:
- user adjusts the way somehow [common operation]
- potlatch decides to delete old way and create a new one for some
reason [stupid (breaking history), but legal]
- potlatch deletes old way and all the nodes it can (those that aren't
used by other ways where other rivers join the riverbank) [stupid, but
ok]
- potlatch creates a new way, consisting of old (now mostly deleted)
nodes [illegal]

Not really sure this has anything to do with missing transactions,
more likely some bad logic. Foreign keys in the db on current_ways ->
current_nodes could prevent that, but AFAIK they aren't used for
performance reasons.

But why is potlatch today STILL showing the riverbank as it would be
there, but in fact it isn't?
If this accident would be visible to the user then he could do
something about it (re-draw it in worst case) immediately.

Stefan