[OSM-dev] Bugged GPX parser?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 12:06:55 BST 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Richard Fairhurst
<richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> Nick Whitelegg wrote:
>
>> Not sure about "EVER"! :-)
>>
>> e.g. what if you got lost when trying to map a footpath, then later find
>> your way, you might want to chop off your diversion so that some later
>> user doesn't try and draw a path over your track!
>>
>> Likewise if I'm mapping an area and searching out footpaths, I might end
>> up going 1/2 mile along a road in order to (unsuccessfully) find a
>> footpath. If the road is already mapped, I might chop out this diversion
>> so I get a nice aesthetically-pleasing circular track :-)
>
> So maybe we are an artistic work for licensing purposes after all. ;)
>
> Seriously, I'd contend it doesn't matter. People shouldn't be mapping
> just from GPXs without any knowledge of the area anyway.

Yeah, that's my view too. And "incorrect" GPS traces are still useful
in aggregate, as anyone who has seen
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Image:Londonposter1.jpg will
know, so I'm opposed to people selectively uploading GPS points also -
whether because they think some points are wrong or just because they
don't want to show one road. One man's errors are another man's
crowd-sourced data. :-)

Cheers,
Andy