[OSM-dev] Internet explorer 8 mess.. (or maybe there is an issue with openlayers)

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Mar 6 22:49:22 GMT 2008

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 09:56:57PM +0000, Shaun McDonald wrote:
> Interesting the following open layers example claims that the latest
> beta of Safari on leopard cannot support SVG, when in fact Safari has
> no problems with other sites with SVG.
> http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/vector-features.html

Safari does not have support for the particular profile of SVG that
OpenLayers checks for. This is a recent 'regression' due to Safari
changing what they report.

When I asked about it a couple weeks ago, I was told by the Safari SVG
devleopers that I could expect that they would start supporting the SVG
1.0 profile again in "about a month". Since there is currently no way in
Safari Nightlies to check whether it supports SVG, the only other option
is a browser-version specific hack, and browser-specific version hacks
tend to be fragile, especially when you're working with unreleased code.

I don't know if you're meaning "beta" or "nightly": If there is a beta
out with the lack of SVG support built into it, then I guess that they
didn't make the SVG fix into the cut, and I'll have to go fix OpenLayers
to specifically check for a version. If you care, the thing I'll need to
know is a User-Agent string from the browser that's failing: if you
don't know how to extract one of these, email me off list and I'll help
you get one.

Thanks in advance,
--
Christopher Schmidt