[OSM-dev] Internet explorer 8 mess..

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Mar 6 22:51:16 GMT 2008

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 02:44:02PM -0700, MilesTogoe wrote:
> Anyone using Windows can download and use the mostly W3C compliant
> Firefox for free.  I haven't seen anything that indicates MS will
> support the W3C SVG standard on IE8 or any other IE version.  Until IE
> supports SVG, they are not abiding by W3C standards and we should
> continue to advocate that users use Firefox, especially since OSM and
> OpenLayers utilize SVG.

OpenLayers uses SVG *or* VML: It has no problem using VML to do all its
vector rendering when it is working in IE, and has done so since vector
support was added. Even if OpenStreetMap were to create and support an
OSM editing interface that used OpenLayers Vector support, this would
not preclude the use of IE.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt