[OSM-dev] Next steps (was: Applied for Google Summer of Code)

Tue Mar 11 09:50:12 GMT 2008

OK, here are the next steps for GSoC.

- We need students who are willing to take up one of the projects listed
on our wiki page (they can propose their own thing to us too, of
course). Students who are interested should show their interest now.
@all: If you know a promising student, let them know about OSM GSOC.

- We need mentors who are willing to coach students during coding phase
is May 26 - August 11. All you need is some familiarity with OSM, the
people involved, a Google account, and some time. Please add your name
to the wiki page if you are willing to coach somebody

- We need to choose projects we'd like to have implemented and match
students with tutors. How do we do that? Should we set up a poll page?
Should students choose freely? Does the OSMF have specific pet projects
they'd like to see implemented? SteveC, TomH, Jon, 80n,... any
favorites? Mail me if yes.

Sebastian

Below a timeline of when and how things start:
- March 13-17: Google program administrators review organization
applications.

- March 17: List of accepted mentoring organizations published on
code.google.com/soc/ (~12 noon PDT/19:00 UTC).

- Interim Period: Would-be student participants discuss application
ideas with mentoring organizations.

- March 24: Student application period opens (~12 noon PDT/19:00 UTC).

- March 31: Student application deadline 5:00 PM PDT/00:00 UTC April 1,
2008.

- Interim Period: Mentoring organizations review and rank student
proposals; where necessary, mentoring organizations may request further
proposal detail from the student applicant.