[OSM-dev] New tool to convert from OSM to SHP

Ciprian Talaba cipriantalaba at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 19:13:13 GMT 2008

Let me try to answer this step by step:

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 1:92 PM, Milo van der Linden wrote:

>  I would like to join your project on Google Code. I am a C# and vb.net
> professional and have good experience with data conversion.

I would add you to the project first thing tomorrow. Your help will be
welcome.

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Karl Newman wrote:

> Why don't you write it as a driver for ogr2ogr? (www.gdal.org) That's an
> oft-requested utility, which would open up a wide variety of export formats.
> You could start with read-only OSM access (which is effectively what you're
> doing now).

I didn't know anything about ogr2ogr before reading this. I would like to
proceed
on this path as one of the things that is motivating me is that I have a
chance
to code in C# after more than a year, and I am missing that.
If I have time I would have a look at ogr2ogr as C/C++ experience is not
missing,
as my regular job is embedded engineer.

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 8:14 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Does Jochen's Ruby Lib (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSMLib)
> not work on Windows? It's highly configurable and generally creates
> any type and number of shapefiles you want...

I found this library while searching for a conversion tool but I thought
that the
it is now very simple to use, compared to an .Net application. Also I have
no experience with Ruby :(