[OSM-dev] Batch upload dilemma

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 18 10:41:37 GMT 2008

Ciprian Talaba wrote:
>Sent: 18 March 2008 6:48 AM
>To: dev at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: [OSM-dev] Batch upload dilemma
>
>Hi all,
>
>One fleet management company was kindly enough to give us right of usage
>to all their track logs, so now I am facing with the problem of using
>this HUGE track database (the history from 2007 to now is something like
>40GB of data). One way I was thinking of using this information was to
>have a daily archive of tracks (all the tracks, from all the cars, from
>the previous day) and put them in an archive and upload it to OSM server.
>The problem is that OSM server is treating these logs as a single track
>and the timestamps from  different cars are mixed, so it is not usable.
>The idea now is to upload each file generated daily by a car separated
>using a script. I will create a different user for this so I can have my
>own tracks separately. Do you have any other idea?

Nice,

Can I suggest you start a wiki page specifically to document your progress.
As Marcus has already suggested, some filtering of the data may be in order
too, though anything with an hdop of under 10 is probably useful in OSM.

Before flooding the import deamons with work I also suggest you email Tom
Hughes (or post to dev) so that the import process can be properly planned
and managed.

What area of the world are we talking about here?

Cheers

Andy